Monday, October 12, 2015

JT - General Conference

Dear Everyone,

We were finally able to watch conference this week! It was such a great conference and I learned a lot. But first, I'll share a bit of a cool experience this week.

We were looking around for a potential investigator's house, but we could not find the address at all. We were in the middle of nowhere, houses all around us, but we couldn't find the one place we needed to find. But, as we were searching, we decided to stop at a house and knock on it. The person who answered was really nice; young mother of 2 really cute kids. One was 3 and the other was 1. We were able to talk to her and it turns out she used to go to a Christian Church and since she got married and moved, she hasn't gone to it. She remembers some things about Christ and about singing gospel songs. So, we were able to relate to her a lot. She seemed super interested and we set up a return appointment. She also said she would talk to her husband about us and what we do. So, later in the week, we called them to follow up and she said that she talked to her husband and said that the husband wasn't interested, so she canceled the return appointment. We tried to see if we can talk to the husband, but it didn't work out. It was pretty frustrating that that had to happen, but, like Sister Marriot said in conference, "It will all work out." She seemed like she was ready, but one day, it will be all good.
 
So many fish!

So, I really liked this conference. It's funny how each conference, there is like an overwhelming theme. Last conference, it was Families and Marriage. This conference, I felt like the theme was just living the Doctrine of Christ more fully in your life. It is really interesting because right now as a mission, we are challenged to read the Book of Mormon and look for the Doctrine of Christ as we read. I thought it was awesome how things just always seem to relate. The conference started with President Uchtdorf talking about how living the gospel should be simple. There was a lot about defending your faith and developing stronger faith. There was also a lot about repentance and changing into someone better through the Atonement. Much about the Sacrament and keeping all of the Commandments. Also, a great talk given by President Eyring about Receiving the Holy Ghost. And, of course, a lot about enduring to the end by living the gospel every day. A couple of my favorite talks were of course Elder Holland's "Behold Thy Mother", Elder Lawrence's " What Lack I Yet?", a question that we all need to ask, and Elder Hales' talk. I also really liked Elder Renlund's talk! Those were my favorite, but really, all of them had a great message and can help me in my life and my mission. I'll be studying these talks more thoroughly.

A couple awesome quotes from conference:

"Exaltation is our goal; discipleship is our journey" -President Uchtdorf
"Focusing on how the Lord inspires His chosen leaders and how He moves the Saints to do remarkable and extraordinary things despite their humanity is one way that we hold on to the gospel of Jesus Christ and stay safely aboard the Old Ship Zion." -Elder Ballard
"If you want more than you now have, reach up, not across!" -Elder Hales
"No love in mortality comes closer to approximating the pure love of Jesus Christ than the selfless love a devoted mother has for her child" -Elder Holland
"having descended beneath it all, He is perfectly positioned to lift us and give us the strength we need to endure our afflictions. We have only to ask." -Elder Oaks

It was a great conference! But, it was really hard to see President Monson struggling like that in his talk on Sunday... I learned a lot. There was a lot of love for Japan there as well! Elder Yamashita saying a prayer, Elder Aoyagi giving a talk (he shouted out the Japan Kobe Mission!) and also Elder Aoba being mentioned by Elder Maynes. I met Elder Aoba when I was in Nishiwaki! It was so cool to see his picture in conference and hear that story. Go Japan!

So, the scripture I am "ponderizing" this week is Alma 38:5 which says "And now my son, Shiblon, I would that ye should remember, that as much as ye shall put your trust in God even so much ye shall be delivered out of your trials, and your troubles, and your afflictions, and ye shall be lifted up at the last day." I like that because God will always deliver us if we put our trust in Him.

I love you all! I hope you have a great week! Remember what you learned in conference and look over the talks again! They will help you!

Love,
Elder Lamoreaux ラムロー長老
Japan Kobe Mission 日本神戸伝道部


 
So yesterday, we watched General Conference!  But, as I walked into the room where we were watching, I saw somebody who looked really familiar, and I was like, "there's no way!"  It was a recent convert in my first area, Nishiwaki, who I worked with all the time in Nishiwaki!  Apparently, she heard from a member that I was in Maizuru, and she wanted to come see me.  They drove all the way up to Maizuru just to see me!  I was so surprised and speechless.  They left Nishiwaki at 7:00 in the morning.  It was such a pleasant surpise.

 


Such a cool sunset!

No comments:

Post a Comment